Two NGC-graded Vintage Chinese Rarities Realize Over $400,000 Each in June Sale
Posted on 7/3/2021
Two rare Chinese coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) each realized over $400,000 in Heritage Auctions' Hong Kong International Numismatic Fair Auction #3092 that ended June 24, 2021. Each of these silver rarities was minted during a transformative period in Chinese history.
Struck during the final year of imperial rule, a China Year 3 (1911) Long Whiskered Dragon Silver Dollar graded NGC MS 63 (lot 38098) realized an impressive $552,000. The exquisite design of this issue is the work of Italian engraver Luigi Giorgi.
|China Year 3 (1911) Silver Dollar Long Whiskered Dragon graded NGC MS 63.
Click images to enlarge.
Also generating a great deal of excitement among collectors was a China Year 38 (1949) Kweichow Bamboo Dollar graded NGC AU 50 (lot 38218) that realized $408,000 — more than five times its pre-auction estimate.
|China Year 38 (1949) Kweichow Bamboo Dollar graded NGC AU 50.
Click images to enlarge.
The famous “Bamboo Dollar” from Kweichow province was minted during a transitional period in Chinese history, and many coins like this were lost or melted down. As such, these attractive coins are scarce and stand alongside other classic Chinese numismatic treasures.
Other NGC-graded highlights in the sale included:
- a China 1904 Hupeh Tael graded NGC MS 62 and pedigreed to the W&B Capital Collection (lot 38171) that realized $360,000
- a China 1989 Dragon & Phoenix Pattern Gold 200 Yuan and a China 1989 Dragon & Phoenix Pattern Silver 20 Yuan, each graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo, offered together (lot 38338) that realized $228,000
- a China 1904 Hupeh Tael, Small Characters graded NGC MS 63 (lot 38170) that realized $144,000
- a China Year 29-dated Hu-Poo Gold Tael (Modern Restrike) graded NGC PF 64 (lot 38084) that realized $144,000
- a China (1897) Chihli Silver Dollar graded NGC MS 62 (lot 38122) that realized $105,000
- a China (1895-1905) Hupeh 50 Cents graded NGC MS 66 (lot 38165) that realized $84,000
- a China 1889 Kwangtung 20 Cents graded NGC SP 63 and pedigreed to the Wa She Wong Collection (38211) that realized $66,000
- a Great Britain 2017 Gold £800 Britannia 30th Anniversary Privy graded NGC 69 Ultra Cameo (lot 38369) that realized $63,000
Prices realized include buyer's premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!