NGC-certified European Coins Soar in Japanese Auction
Posted on 7/25/2019
European rarities certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) achieved the top 10 prices realized in a July 2019 sale by Auction World, a respected Japanese firm.
A 1631 Bohemia 10 Ducat graded NGC AU 55 led the way with a price realized of 29,916,002 Yen (about $278,000 USD). The 17th century gold Bohemian coin features a bust of Albrecht von Wallenstein. A native of Bohemia, he became a powerful military figure in the Thirty Years War but was assassinated in 1634 after falling out of favor with the Habsburg emperor.
Meanwhile, an 1876CNB Russian 25 Roubles, graded NGC PF 61, realized 27,700,002 Yen (about $258,000 USD). It was issued near the end of the reign of Russian Emperor Alexander II, who left his mark on the world map in 1867 when he sold Alaska to the United States.
|1808 Netherlands Gold 50 Stuivers, graded NGC MS 64.
Click images to enlarge.
Another gold coin from Europe, an 1808 Netherlands 50 Stuivers graded NGC MS 64, realized 26,592,000 Yen (about $247,000 USD). The coin is believed to have been owned by Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, who ruled the kingdom of Holland from 1806 to 1810. Unfortunately for Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, his reign was cut short by his famous older brother, the emperor of France. The coin remained in the Bonaparte family for years.
Other highlights of Auction World's Auction 17, held July 20-21, included:
- an 1840CNB Russia 3 Roubles graded NGC PF 65 Cameo that realized JPY 25,484,000 (about $237,000 USD)
- an 1836CNB Russia 10 Roubles Gold Pattern graded NGC MS 62 that realized JPY 19,390,000 (about $180,000 USD)
- an 1895 AT Russia 10 Roubles graded NGC MS 62 that realized JPY 19,390,000 (about $180,000 USD)
- an 1895 AT Russia 5 Roubles graded NGC MS 61 that realized JPY 16,066,001 (about $149,000 USD)
- an 1826 Great Britain 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 64 Ultra Cameo that realized JPY 15,512,001 (about $144,000 USD)
- a 1902 Russia 37.5 Roubles graded NGC MS 62 that realized JPY 15,512,001 (about $144,000 USD)
- a 1935 Great Britain Crown - Gold Off Metal Strike graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo that realized JPY 14,847,201 (about $138,000 USD)
Auction World is affiliated with World Coins Japan, which submitted several of these highlights at one of NGC's regular on-site grading events in Hong Kong. During these events, NGC sends a team to Hong Kong to perform its normal grading process in a significantly shortened timeframe.
NGC’s Hong Kong office was recently expanded to accommodate more frequent on-site grading events. The next on-site grading event is scheduled for August 19-24, 2019, with all submissions due by Friday, August 16. To learn more, click here.
Prices realized include buyers premium.