Two NGC-certified Chinese Coins Each Realize Over $500,000
Posted on 7/7/2022
Two incredibly rare Chinese coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) each sold for over $500,000 in a sale presented by Heritage Auctions. They were among nine NGC-certified Chinese coins to each realize six-figure prices in the HKINF World and Ancient Coins Platinum Session and Signature Auction, which was held July 7-9, 2022.
The auction's top lot was a modern rarity: a China 1992 1 Kilogram Gold 2,000 Yuan - Completion of Lunar Cycle graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo (lot 34198). This large coin honors the designs from China's annual lunar series that began with the Year of the Rooster in 1981. From a mintage of just 20 pieces, this coin realized $576,000, easily beating its pre-auction estimate of $300,000 to $400,000.
|China 1992 1 Kilogram Gold 2,000 Yuan - Completion of Lunar Cycle graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Realized: $576,000
Click images to enlarge.
The second-highest price realized in the auction was for a China (1914) Pattern Silver Dollar (L&M-72) graded NGC MS 64 (lot 34115). Designed by renowned Tientsin mint engraver Luigi Giorgi, this pattern shows a three-quarters-facing portrait of Yuan Shih-kai, who was China's president from 1912 until his death in 1916, except for a three-month stint as emperor near the end. This coin realized $564,000.
|China (1914) Pattern Silver Dollar (L&M-72) graded NGC MS 64. Realized: $564,000
Click images to enlarge.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the auction include:
- a China (1923) Silver Dollar - Large Characters graded NGC MS 62 and pedigreed to the Rulin Wei Collection (lot 34141) that realized $180,000
- a China 1914 L. Giorgi Silver Dollar graded NGC MS 63 and pedigreed to the Rulin Wei Collection (lot 34117) that realized $156,000
- a China (1923) Silver Dollar - Small Characters graded NGC MS 63 and pedigreed to the Rulin Wei Collection (lot 34140) that realized $132,000
- a China (1927) Mausoleum Dollar graded NGC AU 58 and pedigreed to the Rulin Wei Collection (lot 34150) that realized $132,000
- a group of two China 1989 Dragon and Phoenix Patterns (a Silver 5 Jiao and a Gold 10 Yuan), each graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo and pedigreed to the Fred Weinberg Collection (lot 34192), which realized $114,000
- a China 1907 Silver Dollar graded NGC MS 61 (lot 34013) that realized $108,000
- a China 1982 Brass Pattern 100 Yuan - Panda/Great Wall graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo (lot 34202) that realized $108,000
- a China 1982 Brass Pattern 100 Yuan - Panda/Temple of Heaven graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo (lot 34201) that realized $102,000
Prices realized include buyer's premium. All estimates are provided by the auction house. The $ symbol represents US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!